Almost everybody has a favourite teacher, someone who went above and beyond to encourage you because they could see your potential. On October 5, take time to celebrate World Teachers’ Day.Considering that teachers mold future generations, taking one day every year to say “thank you” is the least we can do. No matter where you are in the world today, remember that teachers matter!
WORLD TEACHERS’ DAY STATS
- In India, the share of female teachers declines with the remoteness of schools, from 60% when the school is located at the local government seat to 30% when it is 30 km away.
- More teachers are needed in displacement settings. If all refugees enrolled, Turkey would need 80,000 additional teachers, Germany would need 42,000 teachers and educators, and Uganda would need 7,000 additional primary teachers. Yet refugee teachers are often excluded from national training programs because of professional regulations on right to work.
- Nearly 94% of teachers in pre-primary education, but only about half of those in upper secondary education, are female.
- The proportion of women among primary school teachers in low-income countries (41%) is half that in high-income countries (82%).
- In low-income countries, only 23% of secondary school teachers are women.
- At the tertiary level, only 19% of teachers are women in low-income countries and about 46% or less in the other income groups.
HOW TO OBSERVE WORLD TEACHERS’ DAY
Surprise your teacher with a gift
Kids can show their appreciation by giving their teacher a heartfelt “thank you” card, surprising them with homemade crafts or drawings, or by writing a poem of admiration.
Make teachers feel special
Parents love teachers, too! Show just how much on World Teachers’ Day. Collaborate with your local PTA to set up a raffle with gift cards, coffee mugs and other prizes. Provide coffee and donuts or ask parents to set up a potluck breakfast for teachers before the school day begins.
Give teachers the royal treatment
Being a teacher can be stressful, exhausting and frustrating. On World Teachers’ Day, school administrations should pamper their teachers. Having lunch catered or surprising teachers with a 10-minute massage are great ways to let teachers know that their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed. If October 5 falls on a weekend, celebrate on the Friday before or the Monday after.