Growing up, Boskasie’s Sundays were filled with the fragrances of home cooked Cape Malay dishes and a soundtrack of George Benson, Hugh Masekela, Abdullah Ibrahim, Gypsy Kings and the carnival sounds of “Ghoema”—sounds and flavours that still influence her music today.
- Born Nicole Davy, Boskasie hails from the Cape Flats but grew up partly in the Netherlands and is now based in Johannesburg.
- She comes from a musical family with a trumpeter mother and a father who is a vocalist and guitarist in the Boys Brigade.
- While still in high school, Boskasie represented both her state and South Africa nationally in hip-hop dancing.
- Her debut EP Memoirs was released in 2016?
- Collaborated with internationally recognised artists Spoek Mathambo and Die Heuwels Fantasties
- Boskasie has released a brand-New single, Make Me Feel, hot off the success of Cassper Nyovest’s Move for Me where she lends her vocal talents, the hit has been streamed more than 1.2 million times.
- The video has been viewed more than 1.6 million times.
Listen to the podcast here: