How could anything possibly compete with a bowl of hot noodles drenched in cheese sauce? Even the worst bowl of mac ‘n cheese is almost always delicious. You cannot really go wrong with mac ‘n cheese because the ingredients are simple. It gives us a sense of happiness, delicious! The soft texture and carb-rich goodness of pasta, the dreamy creamy, rich flavour of the cheese,
Follow this easy peasy Mac and Cheese recipe, serves 8-10 people
- 1 packet of macaroni pasta
- Salt, to taste
- 5 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons (45 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- cheddar cheese, shredded (4 heaping cups), plus more if baking (about 1/2 cup)
- 140 grams Pecorino cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Grate the cheeses and set aside
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add the pasta then follow package directions, but cook 2 minute less than the recommended cook time. Drain then rinse pasta with cold water and set aside.
- Add milk to a large microwave-safe jug and microwave 1 to 3 minutes until warm.
- While the milk warms up, melt the butter in a large saucepan. When the butter begins to bubble, add the flour. Cook, constantly whisking — the colour of the butter-flour mixture will be light brown; 2 to 3 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly pour the warm milk into butter and flour mixture. Continue to cook, constantly whisking until the sauce bubbles and thickens. Remove the pan from the heat. and then stir in mustard, black pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, 4 cups of cheddar and all of the pecorino cheese. Stir until the heat from the sauce melts the cheese.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning, and then adjust with additional spices or salt
- If the drained and rinsed pasta will fit into the pan, add it to the cheese sauce. If the pasta will not fit, add both the pasta and sauce to a separate large bowl and stir well.
- For a stovetop mac and cheese, cover with a lid and set aside for 5 minutes. In this time the pasta will absorb some of the extra cheese sauce. Serve.
- For a baked mac and cheese, pour the pasta into the prepared baking dish. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!