National Hot Dog Day in July celebrates a summertime staple on a bun. Enjoy one piping hot and add some relish and mustard to go! One thing we want to know – is it a sandwich or not?
Celebrated every year during National Hot Dog Month, this day pays homage to the frankfurter, the footlong, the wienerwurst or even those yummy red vienna’s we buy at the butcher! They taste just as great no matter what we call it.
We all make them a variety of ways. They’re portable and easy to make. While many of us prefer them grilled or toasted over a fire, we also boil and pan-fry them. The list of toppings are numerous – from the basic tomato sauce, mustard or relish to onions, mayonnaise, cheese, bacon and chilli– the list keeps growing. Adults and children alike love them so much!
Here are a few fully loaded hot dogs that you can try and the recipes are super easy!
Sweet chilli dogs
- 4 fat sausages (sweet chilli if you can get them)
- 2 onions red, white or one of each
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 hot dog buns
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan. Spread the sausages in a roasting tin and cook for 20-25 mins, turning, until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions in a splash of oil over a high heat until almost softened and browning. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce and tomato purée with some seasoning, and cook for 1 min more.
- Split the hot dog buns, add a spoonful of the sweet chilli onions, top with a sausage, then a spoonful more onions.
Cheesesteak hot dogs
- 1 large rib-eye steak
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed but whole
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 60g smoked cheddar, sliced, yellow mustard, to serve
- 2 tbsp crispy onions
- Season the steak well, then fry it with the garlic in hot oil for 4-5 mins on each side for medium rare. Put the steak on a board to rest and discard the garlic.
- Add the peppers and a pinch of salt to the pan with extra oil if needed and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Heat grill to high. Thinly slice the steak. Fill each bun with a quarter of the steak, peppers and cheese slices. Grill for 2-3 mins, drizzle with mustard and top with onions.
Honey-mustard hot dogs
- 50g mozzarella grated
- 50g cheddar grated
- 3 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 sausages
- 4 hot dog rolls
- Combine the mozzarella , cheddar, mustard and honey. Cook the sausages following pack instructions. Heat the grill to high. Split the hot dog buns, fill each with a sausage and top with the cheese mixture. Put the hot dogs into the oven and grill for 1-2 mins or until the cheese has melted.