You can literally eat it anywhere and anytime! Pack a few for a road trip, it always works out well. Whats awesome about these delicious treats, is that you can fill them with ANYTHING! From mince to cheese, to jams, its entirely up to your tastebuds!
Here’s an easy peasy recipe to follow
- 1 kg bread flour
- 1 sachet yeast
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 600-700 ml lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Mix dry ingredients on a low speed in a stand mixer
- Whilst the mixer is still on, slowly pour the water into the mixer until the dough comes together.
- Add in the oil.
- Turn the speed to medium and knead the dough until it comes away from the sides is no longer sticky.
- Cover the dough and let it rise until it has doubled in size
- Once doubled in size, take some out and mould the dough in your hands into a vetkoek . Place on a well-oiled surface to allow a second rise.
- After 20 minutes heat oil in a pan or pot to ensure the vetkoek will deep fry.
- Slowly and gently drop the vetkoek into the oil and fry until golden and cooked through.