Ever tried making your own Slangetjies? We know it’s easy enough to buy them at the spice shop, but we’re always up for a cooking challenge!
Here’s a quick and easy recipe to try, let us know how it turns out!
- 350ml pea flour (yellow pea)
- 125ml cake flour
- 10ml salt
- 5ml jeera powder
- 5ml chilli powder
- 30ml sunflower oil
- 500ml sunflower oil for frying
- Sift all your dry ingredients together
- Add 30ml of oil and mix in some water to make a thick paste
- Push your mixture through a colander with small holes or through a pasta machine to form spaghetti like strands
- Put the strands directly in hot oil and deep fry until crispy and golden
- Remove and drain well on a paper towel
- Serve hot or cold