Chakalaka is a fresh spicy tomato bean relish that you can eat alongside almost anything! Braai or curry, you name it, Chakalaka compliments it all!
How to make a very simple Chakalaka
- 45ml cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 hot chilies, chopped (remove seeds to lessen heat)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15-30g (1 to 2 teaspoons) curry powder
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place the pan on the stovetop. Add the oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, grated carrot, diced chilies and minced garlic. Tip in the curry powder. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion turns soft. Stir often to prevent it from sticking and burning.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir through the mixture and bring to the boil. Once it boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the baked beans. Stir to mix in. Taste test before adding salt and pepper to season the dish.
- Remove from the heat. Transfer to 2 bowls or plates. Serve warm with pap, crusty bread or couscous, polenta or rice.