Coronavirus. A virus headlining the world. You’re probably thinking should I be concerned, how can I avoid it and is there a vaccine? Don’t panic, here are the ins and outs on Coronavirus.
What is coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a collection of viruses. Don’t freak out just yet. That is not the end of the explanation. The virus that was discovered on the 31st of December is called 2019 novel coronavirus, aka 2019-nCoV. This group of viruses infect a wide range of animals and humans. These viruses can be anything from severe colds and pneumonia.
The coronaviruses can be transmitted through animals through zoonosis. Other viruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV) and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) are also part of coronavirus. Both causing several deaths.
How do I protect myself of the threat, Coronavirus?
There are currently no vaccines for Coronavirus but the symptoms can be treated. You may be able to reduce the threat of the virus doing the following:
- Keep your hands clean with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitisers.
- If someone is sick, stay out of their vicinity.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, nose and unwashed hair.
How do I protect others from Coronavirus?
- If you are sick, stay home.
- Avoid contact with other people.
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing using your tissue or flexed elbow.
- Clean and disinfect objects and services.
Treatment for Coronavirus:
There isn’t an actual treatment for the virus. But you can treat the symptoms of the virus.
- Take pain and fever medications.
- Use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Stay home and rest.
Link to further information on Coronavirus.