South Africans have resorted to brewing their own beer during the national lockdown. Pineapple sales have risen from 10,000 on the first day of lockdown to a staggering 90,000 on the 27th of April.
Pineapple beer is more than just ordinary pineapple juice. And this easy South African recipe requires only three ingredients. Because pineapples are very low in kilojoules, sweet and affordable and contain antioxidants, you can drink this almost guilt-free.
Ingredients for homemade pineapple beer
- 3 pineapples
- 1 kg of sugar
- 9l Water
Easy homemade pineapple beer recipe
- Peel all three pineapples and cut them up. Do not throw away the peels.
- Cut the peels into small pieces and combine with the pineapple pieces.
- Place the pineapple pieces and peel into a 9ℓ bucket.
- Add the sugar.
- Fill the bucket to the top with water.
- Use a muslin cloth to cover the top.