The Stellenbosch University student accused of raping a fellow student has been granted bail of R1000.
The 18-year-old — who’s facing two counts of rape — appeared in the local magistrate’s court on Thursday.
It’s understood that he raped the victim at a residence on Victoria Street on Tuesday.
The National Prosecuting Authority’s Eric Ntabazalila says the case has been postponed until later next month.
“The NPA can confirm that a University of Stellenbosch student appeared at the Stellenbosch Magistrates Court. He’s charged with two counts of rape. The court set his bail at R1000, with conditions that he must not be in contact with the complainant. His case was postponed to 29 June for further investigation.”
Meanwhile, the University of Cape Town (UCT) says a recent allegation of sexual assault is linked to an ongoing matter that is under investigation.
On Wednesday, an anonymous Twitter page claimed that a UCT student was raped by a professor on the university’s grounds.
The Twitter user also claimed that the incident had been reported to the institution, adding that it failed to act for months.
The page is said to be run by the victim.
UCT spokesperson, Elijah Moholola, says the alleged perpetrator is a joint staff member for the university and the Western Cape Health Department.
“UCT can state that the university is aware that the allegation of sexual misconduct is being investigated by the SAPS. The Western Cape Department of Health is also conducting investigations around this matter.”